I want to share the following information from Royal Caribbean on their Autism Friendly Program. I know many families have extra challenges when travel with children with autism, I hope you find this helpful.
Royal Caribbean has achieved the following Autism Friendly Certifications fleet wide:
- Bronze Level – all required autism friendly products and services in place.
- Silver Level – all Youth staff trained on autism awareness.
Royal Caribbean also requires their Youth staff to have a four year University degree or international equivalent in education, recreation or related field. Their Youth staff has at least three to five years qualified experience in working with children ages six months to 17 years.
Royal Caribbean offers a wide range of autism friendly products and services including:
- Priority check-in, boarding and departure.
- Special dietary accommodations including gluten-free and dairy-free
- Adventure Ocean flexible grouping by ability for children 3 to 11 years old.
- Adventure Ocean toilet-trained policy exception.
- Pagers/phones for parents of children in Adventure Ocean program while signed into care. (subject to availability)
- Autism friendly toy lending is available in their Adventure Ocean Youth Program on all ships – can also be used in their room.
- A “Social Story” available online before cruising, helps parents explain the cruise experience.
Autism Friendly Films
Presented in a low-lit and low volume environment. Guests are encouraged to freely talk and walk around during the film. These films will be offered on all autism group cruises and cruises when there are at least five children with autism on board.